Text mining can be applied on rap lyrics.
Today I attended an event organized by Data Science MD Meetup Group, a talk titled “Lose Yourself in Rapalytics,” by Abhay, a PhD student in University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). Rapalytics is an online tool analyzing raps.
It is another task of text mining and natural language processing. He mentioned a few common tools. However, he also specifically looked at rhymes (as rhyme is an important element of rap lyrics), and profanity (as rap music is commonly, or stereotypically, dirty).
Play with it!
- K.-Y. Ho, “BirdView (4) – Lyrics Generation“, WordPress (2015).
- Data Science MD Meetup Group.
- Lose Yourself in Rapalytics, Data Science MD Meetup on 11/19/2015.
- Rapalytics Facebook Page.
- A similar project: T. Abraham, N. Koul, J. Morales, “R.A.P.: Rap Analysis Project” @ Berkeley [link] (added on Dec 22, 2015)